Thursday, October 16, 2014

LITERARY FICTION & EMPATHY

How can reading fiction help you understand others?  Use Hamlet as an example to explore your own thinking process and reactions to a character's innermost thoughts/struggles.

This article blew me away if I were to be honest. I would have thought that those who read the more popular books would interpret the novels on a more personal basis just because of the fact that the text is modern and depicts today's society. Reading literary works from the past, to me, would be "boring" in a way in which the readers would become bored while reading and would not interpret  the true purpose of the story nor form a relationship with its characters. This shows to tell you that people interpret things in many different ways. I believe that reading fiction, although sometimes not the most fun, provides the reader with more realistic life situations that enables the reader to connect and relate to the character and the situation they are encountering. Like in Hamlet, while reviewing the scenes today and yesterday and acknowledging his perspective on the incest-like marriage between his mother and his uncle, I was able to relate to his emotions and feelings because if I were in his position, I would have reacted the same way. If my mother were to do that to my family, I would be furious and have great resentment towards her and my "uncle." While reading the emotions and thoughts of characters portrayed in fiction novels, the audience is able to relate to the emotions and feelings as if they were experiencing the situation as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment