Monday, September 15, 2014

VOCABULARY #4

obsequious - adj. attentive in an ingratiating or servile manner; attempting to win favor from influential people by flattery
-One must demonstrate obsequious manner while attending formal events.

beatitude - noun supreme blessedness 
-I am an individual who trys to demonstrate a beatitude attitude because I am blessed with the best in life.

bete noire- noun a person or thing that one particularly dislikes.
-The cull of a story or event can also possible be the bete noire of the situation.

bode - verb indicate by signs; be an omen of a particular outcome.
-The teens decision to skip class did not bode well for his future.

dank - adj. unpleasantly cool and humid
-The couple, lost in the middle of nowhere with no method of communication to others, were intimidated by the dank, mysterious atmosphere surrounding them.

ecumenical - adj. of worldwide scope or applicability; concerned with promoting unity among churches or religions
-Many of previous literature periods attempted an ecumenical approach towards their literary pieces.

fervid - adj. extremely hot; characterized by intense emotion
-In  The Color Purple, Harpo is portrayed as fervid throughout the entire piece.

fetid - adj. offensively malodorous; smelling very unpleasant
-Commonly, if one doesn't not obtain correct hygiene, they will gradually become fetid.

gargantuan - adj. of great mass; huge and bulky
-Last year, in AP English, the teacher gave us a gargantuan amount of home and busy work, but never gave us feedback after we completed it.

heyday - noun the period of greatest prosperity or productivity
-I believe I will reach my heyday once I become a physician of some sort.

incubus - noun a male demon believed to lie on sleeping persons and to have sexual intercourse with sleeping women; someone who depresses or worries others; a situation resembling a terrifying dream
-My whole life, because I have heart disease, I have been considered an incubus to my family and friends.

infrastructure - noun the stock of basic facilities and capital equipment needed for the functioning of a country or area; the basic structure or features of a system or organization
-Ever since this year, I have used a common infrastructure when writing, but now I am going to attempt to alter that approach and form to something a little more complex and more rigorous.

inveigle - verb influence or urge by gentle urging, caressing, or flattering
-When inveigled by the teacher, the student gained the confidence it took to reveal his work to the rest of the class.

kudos - noun an expression of approval and commendation
-After completing my personal statements, I had my peers revise and edit them and then was given kudos to be proud of and confident in them.

lagniappe - noun a small gift (especially one given by a merchant to a customer who makes a purchase)
-Often, after reading a book, I feel that the author has given me a lagniappe, because of the knowledge and/or the morals/themes it provided me with.

prolix - adj. tediously prolonged or tending to speak or write at great length
-The Essays of Michel de Montaigne can be considered very prolix because of the complex text he inserts into the story.

protege - noun a person who receives support and protection from an influential patron who furthers the protege's career
-I believe that Dr. Preston will be a protégé to not only me, but to all of my fellow classmates.

prototype - noun a standard or typical example
-As an individual, it is critical to be considered a prototype by others.

sycophant - noun a person who tries to please someone in order to gain a personal advantage
-A teachers pet (aka KISS ASS) is usually classified as a sycophant.

tautology - noun useless repetition; (logic) a statement that is necessarily true
-Sometimes, authors use tautology to prove a point in their writing.

truckle - verb yield to out of weakness; try to gain favor by cringing or flattering
-After the student had disrespected the teacher, the student attempted to truckle the teacher, but the teacher did not buy it for one second.

No comments:

Post a Comment